Kim Price: Hello everyone! It’s Kim here today with a mixed media project featuring the new BasicGrey Tea Garden collection along with an assortment of BasicGrey stencils. I just love creating anything arty and this little 8inch x 8inch canvas has been a real joy to make from start to finish. My inspiration came from a mixed media style painting I created a few years ago titled “Little House” on wood. I just love this little painting and it hangs proudly in my home.
1. I started out by drawing a simple outline of a little house on a hillside on my primed canvas using a black watercolor pencil as shown.
2. Using a soft bristled brush I’ve then gone ahead and added some aqua colored acrylic paint to the background, blending some white towards the center of the canvas. The watercolor pencil activates with the paint to provide some shading for some added depth.
3. I’ve chosen BasicGrey Tea Garden Green Tea patterned paper in both the 12inch x 12inch format and from the 6inch x 6inch paper pad and cut my hill shapes layering them together to give the impression of distance. I’ve adhered these in place with some matte medium and allowed it to dry.
4. The next step was to add some olive green acrylic paint to the hills, and I’ve also smeared some of this color around the edges of the rest of my canvas.
5. Mixing some pale yellow acrylic paint into some texture paste, I’ve used my BasicGrey Medallion patterned stencil to create some “flowers” on my hillside. I did this by carefully wiping some of the colored texture paste through my stencil with a palette knife. You could use an old store card for this if you don’t have a palette knife available. Clean your stencil right away to avoid damage.
6. Using some plain texture paste, add some textured edging to your canvas with the BasicGrey Flag pattern stencil as shown, again cleaning any excess from your stencil right away. I’ve also smoothed some of the hard edges of my stencil design for a worn look.
7. Go ahead and add some more aqua and olive green acrylic paint over your dried texture paste.
8. Cut shapes from the BasicGrey Tea Garden 6inch x 6inch patterned paper pad in various patterns to suit your design. I’ve chosen some contrasting pinks for my house so that it stands out from my background. Adhere in place with some matte medium.
9. Add some acrylic paint in shades of coral, mustard and white for that painterly look. I’ve also added some further detail using a black watercolor pencil allowing it to smudge a little creating some shadow. I’ve also added a darker shade of olive green paint to the hills and flowers for a more distressed appearance.
10. To complete my painting I’ve used my BasicGrey Heart patterns stencil to give the impression of rain falling from the clouds and added some random paint splatters.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you liked my step by Step tutorial!